Laredo Animal Protective Society
2500 Gonzalez StLaredo, TX 78040
The Animal Protective Society, now known as The Laredo Animal Protective Society (LAPS), began in the 1950’s when local animal lovers realized that the stray animal population was outgrowing the back yard space of Ella and Jennie Devine, the primary organizers. The shelter was first operated with private donations. For many years, the Animal Protective Society, the Laredo/Webb County Health Department and local veterinarians operated neighborhood street corner“vacunas” throughout the city, offering rabies vaccinations to pets brought by their owners. The city continued to grow and in the 1970’s there was a serious rabies outbreak. The first leash law was passed and the City of Laredo and Webb County united with the Laredo Animal Protective Society, to manage the impound facility.